Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] net: lpc_eth: parse phy nodes from device tree

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 01:45:02 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:45:30PM +0200, Alexandre Belloni wrote:
> When connected to a micrel phy, phy_find_first doesn't work properly
> because the first phy found is on address 0, the broadcast address but, the
> first thing the phy driver is doing is disabling this broadcast address.
> The phy is then available only on address 1 but the mdio driver doesn't
> know about it.
> 
> Instead, register the mdio bus using of_mdiobus_register and try to find
> the phy description in device tree before falling back to phy_find_first.
> 
> This ultimately also allows to describe the interrupt the phy is connected
> to.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Alexandre Belloni <[email-masked]>

Hi Alexandre

>  
> -	if (mdiobus_register(pldat->mii_bus))
> +	if (of_mdiobus_register(pldat->mii_bus, pldat->pdev->dev.of_node))
>  		goto err_out_unregister_bus;

It is normal to use a container node 'mdio' in the ethernet node to
contain the PHY nodes. If you don't do this, you run into issues when
you have Ethernet switches on the MDIO bus.

    Andrew

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel