Subject: [PATCH 00/18] add support for Clang's Shadow Call Stack

From: Sami Tolvanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:10:15 -0700

This patch series adds support for Clang's Shadow Call Stack (SCS)
mitigation, which uses a separately allocated shadow stack to protect
against return address overwrites. More information can be found here:

  https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ShadowCallStack.html

SCS is currently supported only on arm64, where the compiler requires
the x18 register to be reserved for holding the current task's shadow
stack pointer. Because of this, the series includes four patches from
Ard to remove x18 usage from assembly code and to reserve the register
from general allocation.

With -fsanitize=shadow-call-stack, the compiler injects instructions
to all non-leaf C functions to store the return address to the shadow
stack and unconditionally load it again before returning. As a result,
SCS is incompatible with features that rely on modifying function
return addresses to alter control flow, such as function graph tracing
and kretprobes. A copy of the return address is still kept in the
kernel stack for compatibility with stack unwinding, for example.

SCS has a minimal performance overhead, but allocating shadow stacks
increases kernel memory usage. The feature is therefore mostly useful
on hardware that lacks support for PAC instructions. This series adds
a ROP protection choice to the kernel configuration, where other
return address protection options can be selected as they are added to
the kernel.

Ard Biesheuvel (4):
  arm64/lib: copy_page: avoid x18 register in assembler code
  arm64: kvm: stop treating register x18 as caller save
  arm64: kernel: avoid x18 as an arbitrary temp register
  arm64: kbuild: reserve reg x18 from general allocation by the compiler

Sami Tolvanen (14):
  arm64: mm: don't use x18 in idmap_kpti_install_ng_mappings
  add support for Clang's Shadow Call Stack (SCS)
  scs: add accounting
  scs: add support for stack usage debugging
  trace: disable function graph tracing with SCS
  kprobes: fix compilation without CONFIG_KRETPROBES
  kprobes: disable kretprobes with SCS
  arm64: reserve x18 only with Shadow Call Stack
  arm64: preserve x18 when CPU is suspended
  arm64: efi: restore x18 if it was corrupted
  arm64: vdso: disable Shadow Call Stack
  arm64: kprobes: fix kprobes without CONFIG_KRETPROBES
  arm64: disable SCS for hypervisor code
  arm64: implement Shadow Call Stack

 Makefile                             |   6 +
 arch/Kconfig                         |  41 ++++-
 arch/arm64/Kconfig                   |   1 +
 arch/arm64/Makefile                  |   4 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/scs.h         |  60 ++++++++
 arch/arm64/include/asm/stacktrace.h  |   4 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/thread_info.h |   3 +
 arch/arm64/kernel/Makefile           |   1 +
 arch/arm64/kernel/asm-offsets.c      |   3 +
 arch/arm64/kernel/cpu-reset.S        |   4 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/efi-rt-wrapper.S   |   7 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S            |  23 +++
 arch/arm64/kernel/head.S             |   9 ++
 arch/arm64/kernel/irq.c              |   2 +
 arch/arm64/kernel/probes/kprobes.c   |   2 +
 arch/arm64/kernel/process.c          |   3 +
 arch/arm64/kernel/scs.c              |  39 +++++
 arch/arm64/kernel/smp.c              |   4 +
 arch/arm64/kernel/vdso/Makefile      |   2 +-
 arch/arm64/kvm/hyp/Makefile          |   3 +-
 arch/arm64/kvm/hyp/entry.S           |  12 +-
 arch/arm64/lib/copy_page.S           |  38 ++---
 arch/arm64/mm/proc.S                 |  69 +++++----
 drivers/base/node.c                  |   6 +
 fs/proc/meminfo.c                    |   4 +
 include/linux/compiler-clang.h       |   2 +
 include/linux/compiler_types.h       |   4 +
 include/linux/mmzone.h               |   3 +
 include/linux/scs.h                  |  88 +++++++++++
 init/init_task.c                     |   6 +
 init/main.c                          |   3 +
 kernel/Makefile                      |   1 +
 kernel/fork.c                        |   9 ++
 kernel/kprobes.c                     |  38 ++---
 kernel/sched/core.c                  |   2 +
 kernel/sched/sched.h                 |   1 +
 kernel/scs.c                         | 221 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 kernel/trace/Kconfig                 |   1 +
 mm/page_alloc.c                      |   6 +
 mm/vmstat.c                          |   3 +
 40 files changed, 656 insertions(+), 82 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/arm64/include/asm/scs.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm64/kernel/scs.c
 create mode 100644 include/linux/scs.h
 create mode 100644 kernel/scs.c

-- 
2.23.0.866.gb869b98d4c-goog

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel