Subject: Re: [PATCH] phy: allwinner: Fix GENMASK misuse

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 23:39:14 +0000

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 09:46:45PM +0100, Rikard Falkeborn wrote:
> Arguments are supposed to be ordered high then low.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Rikard Falkeborn <[email-masked]>
> ---
> Spotted while trying to add compile time checks of GENMASK arguments.
> Patch has only been compile tested.

My feeling, personally, is that GENMASK() really isn't worth the pain
it causes.  Can we instead get rid of this thing and just use easier
to understand and less error-prone hex masks please?

I don't care what anyone else says, personally I'm going to stick with
using hex masks as I find them way easier to get right first time than
a problematical opaque macro - and I really don't want the effort of
finding out that I've got the arguments wrong when I build it.  It's
just _way_ easier and less error prone to use a hex mask straight off.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel