Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 05/13] usb: musb: create debugfs directory under usb root

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:20:18 +0800

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 09:28:57AM -0600, Bin Liu wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 02:51:51PM +0800, Chunfeng Yun wrote:
> > Now the USB gadget subsystem can use the USB debugfs root directory,
> > so move musb's directory from the root of the debugfs filesystem into
> > the root of usb
> 
> My opinion is this move is unnecessary. I breaks existing debug tools or
> documentation which is already published on Internet. 

Having a "root" directory for a single random driver seems like you are
making your driver a "very important" thing in the overall scheme of the
kernel, right?  What's wrong with using the usb subdirectory like all
other USB drivers use (after this patch series is merged)?  That feels
like a much more "sane" way to handle the wide-open debugfs namespace.

Yes, there are no rules when it comes to debugfs file names and
locations, but let's try to be sane please.

thanks,

greg k-h

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel