Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 5/7] drivers: firmware: psci: Add hierarchical domain idle states converter

From: Lina Iyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 13:45:14 -0700

On Thu, Feb 06 2020 at 01:46 -0700, Ulf Hansson wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 17:18, Sudeep Holla <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 04:55:17PM +0100, Ulf Hansson wrote:
>> > On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 15:06, Sudeep Holla <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > >
>> > > On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 05:53:00PM +0530, Maulik Shah wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > > On 2/4/2020 8:51 PM, Sudeep Holla wrote:
>> > > > > On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 10:22:42AM +0530, Maulik Shah wrote:
>> > > > > > On 2/3/2020 10:38 PM, Sudeep Holla wrote:
>> > > > > > > On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 07:05:38PM +0530, Maulik Shah wrote:
>> > > > > > > > From: Ulf Hansson <[email-masked]>
>> > > > > > > >
>> I was, but not anymore, especially if we want such changes in the kernel
>> to do so.
>>
>> Just use OSI as that was the point of adding all these after years of
>> discussion claiming it's more optimal compared to PC. Now telling that
>> you need more changes to compare it with PC just doesn't make any sense
>> at all to me.
>
>Fair enough.
>
>I was just pondering over if there are other reasons to why we may want this.
>
>One other thing that could be problematic to support, is when are
>other resources, I/O controllers for example, sharing the same power
>rail as a cluster. When such controller is in use, idle states of the
>cluster must be prevented. Without using genpd to model the CPU
>topology, it may be difficult to deal with this.
>
>Of course, using PC mode when trying to deal with this
>platform/board-requirement would also be suboptimal. In other words,
>your argument about when using OSI vs PC mode, still stands.
>
I understand the arguments for using PC vs OSI and agree with it. But
what in PSCI is against Linux knowing when the last core is powering
down when the PSCI is configured to do only Platform Cordinated.
There should not be any objection to drivers knowing when all the cores
are powered down, be it reference counting CPU PM notifications or using
a cleaner approach like this where GendPD framwork does everything
cleanly and gives a nice callback. ARM architecture allows for different
aspects of CPU access be handled at different levels. I see this as an
extension of that approach.

-- Lina

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel