Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] tty: serial: samsung_tty: build it for any platform

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 21:41:51 +0100

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 09:52:38AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 1:13 PM Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On 2/20/20 11:26 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > > There is no need to tie this driver to only a specific SoC, or compile
> > > test, so remove that dependancy from the Kconfig rules.
> >
> > samsung_tty driver is hardware specific driver so why should we
> > build it for any platform?

Why not?

Seriously, this "only this one specific SoC is allowed to build this
driver" is crazy.  It prevents anyone from building a generic kernel
with drivers as a module which are loaded as needed.

That needs to be fixed, and removing this unneeded dependancy on this
driver allows it to be build for any system and then only loaded when
needed.

> > This change seems to defeat the whole purpose behind COMPILE_TEST
> > config option (which allows us to build hardware-specific drivers
> > without needlessly presenting the user with tons of non-relevant
> > config options).
> >
> > Please explain this change some more, are you planing to remove
> > COMPILE_TEST config option?

I want to get rid of this:

> > > -     depends on PLAT_SAMSUNG || ARCH_EXYNOS || COMPILE_TEST

We should not need PLAT_SAMSUNG or ARCH_EXYNOS at all, we should be able
to build an arm64 kernel for all platforms.

thanks,

greg k-h

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel