Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/3] dt-bindings: net: add dt bindings for marvell10g driver

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 17:40:40 +0000

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 06:36:36PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > > > +    allOf:
> > > > +      - $ref: /schemas/types.yaml#/definitions/uint16-array
> > > > +      - minItems: 1
> > > > +        maxItems: 4
> > > > +
> > > > +examples:
> > > > +  - |
> > > > +    ethernet-phy@0 {
> > > > +        reg = <0>;
> > > 
> > > This needs to be under an 'mdio' node with #address-cells and
> > > #size-cells set correctly.
> > 
> > I wish these things were documented somewhere... I'm pretty sure this
> > passed validation when I wrote it.
> 
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/mdio.yaml

I'm not sure that makes it any more obvious.  Maybe it's obvious to
those who understand yaml, but for the rest of us, it isn't.

> Rob, is there a way to express the hierarchy between yaml files and
> properties? Can we say that a phy, as defined by ethernet-phy.yaml
> should always be inside an MDIO bus as defined in mdio.yaml?

and yes, it isn't even referenced from ethernet-phy.yaml, so how one
would know to even look there.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel