Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] pci: handled return value of platform_get_irq correctly

From: Bjorn Helgaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 14:02:02 -0500

[+cc Marc, Thomas]

Hi Linus,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 03:07:58PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 8:19 PM Aman Sharma <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Signed-off-by: Aman Sharma <[email-masked]>
> > ---
> >  drivers/pci/controller/pci-v3-semi.c | 4 ++--
> >  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> >
> > diff --git a/drivers/pci/controller/pci-v3-semi.c b/drivers/pci/controller/pci-v3-semi.c
> > index bd05221f5a22..a5bf945d2eda 100644
> > --- a/drivers/pci/controller/pci-v3-semi.c
> > +++ b/drivers/pci/controller/pci-v3-semi.c
> > @@ -777,9 +777,9 @@ static int v3_pci_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)
> >
> >         /* Get and request error IRQ resource */
> >         irq = platform_get_irq(pdev, 0);
> > -       if (irq <= 0) {
> > +       if (irq < 0) {
> 
> Have you considered:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/470820/
> 
> TL;DR Linus (both of them) are not with you on this.
> 
> And that is why the code is written like this.

I'm not sure I understand you here, so please correct me when I go in
the weeds.  I guess you're saying that platform_get_irq() can return
0 here and we should treat that as an error?

This particular driver seems to be ARM-specific -- does that mean we
need to check for 0 on some arches but not others?  That would
definitely be suboptimal, and that's what I'd like to fix here.

IIUC, in the link you mentioned, Linus T says that "dev->irq == 0"
means we don't have a valid IRQ.  I think that makes sense, but I'm
not sure it follows that 0 must be a sensical return value for
platform_get_irq().  It seems to me that platform_get_irq() ought to
return either a valid IRQ or an error, and the convention for errors
is a negative errno.

In fact, the platform_get_irq() function comment says it returns "IRQ
number on success, negative error number on failure."  If we need to
interpret 0 as an error on some arches, it sounds like something is
wrong in the arch-specific bowels of platform_get_irq().

If platform_get_irq() returns an error, a driver might want to
continue in polled mode without IRQs, in which case it could set its
"dev->irq = 0" to indicate that it has no valid IRQ.  But I think we
might be able to separate that "stored IRQ" situation from the
platform_get_irq() interface.

Bjorn

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel