Subject: [PATCH v6 00/23] irqchip/gic-v4: GICv4.1 architecture support

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 18:23:43 +0000

This (now shorter) series expands the existing GICv4 support to deal
with the new GICv4.1 architecture, which comes with a set of major
improvements compared to v4.0:

- One architectural doorbell per vcpu, instead of one doorbell per VLPI

- Doorbell entirely managed by the HW, with an "at most once" delivery
  guarantee per non-residency phase and only when requested by the
  hypervisor

- A shared memory scheme between ITSs and redistributors, allowing for an
  optimised residency sequence (the use of VMOVP becomes less frequent)

- Support for direct virtual SGI delivery (the injection path still involves
  the hypervisor), at the cost of losing the active state on SGIs. It
  shouldn't be a big deal, but some guest operating systems might notice
  (Linux definitely won't care).

Some documentation is now available [0] in the IHI0069F documentation
from ARM (although still not final).

The series is roughly organised in 3 parts:

(0) Fixes
(1) v4.1 doorbell management
(2) Virtual SGI support
(3) Plumbing of virtual SGIs in KVM

Notes:

  - The whole thing is tested on a FVP model, which can be obtained
    free of charge on ARM's developer website. It requires you to
    create an account, unfortunately...

  - This series has uncovered a behaviour that looks like a HW bug on
    the Cavium ThunderX (aka TX1) platform. The fix for this is now
    in mainline (d01fd161e859).

  - I'm extremely grateful for Zenghui Yu's huge effort in carefully
    reviewing this rather difficult series (if we ever get to meet
    face to face, drinks are definitely on me!).

  - Thanks to Eric Auger for having joined the fun and spotted a
    number of funky things!

  - This is now left to brew in -next. Any issue will be fixed by
    addtional patches.

* From v5 [5]
  - Fixed VMOVP not being issued on systems that are not single-VMOVP
    capable
  - Propagated error on irq_get_irqchip_state() failure for vSGIs
  - vSGI pending state is now get reported to userspace
  - Restoring a GICD_TYPER2 value that doesn't match what KVM can offer
    because nASSGIcap is different results in a failure
  - Fixed locking on switch between SGI implementations
  - Added more comments where required to clarify the behaviour of
    some of the most nebulous parts

* From v4 [4]
  - Rebased on v5.6-rc4
  - Fixed locking all over the shop now that we can bypass the ITS
  - Wait on INVALL at the RD level
  - Plentu of cleanups/fixes thanks to Zenghui's careful review effort

* From v3 [3]:
  - Rebased on v5.6-rc1
  - Considerably smaller thanks to the initial patches being merged
  - Small bug fix after the v5.6 merge window

* From v2 [2]:
  - Another bunch of fixes thanks to Zenghui Yu's very careful review
  - HW-accelerated SGIs are now optional thanks to new architected
    discovery/selection bits exposed by KVM and used by the guest kernel
  - Rebased on v5.5-rc2

* From v1 [1]:
  - A bunch of minor reworks after Zenghui Yu's review
  - A workaround for what looks like a new and unexpected TX1 bug
  - A subtle reorder of the series so that some patches can go in early

[0] https://static.docs.arm.com/ihi0069/f/IHI0069F_gic_architecture_specification_v3_and_v4.1.pdf
[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]/
[4] https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]/
[5] https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]/

Marc Zyngier (22):
  irqchip/gic-v3: Use SGIs without active state if offered
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Skip absent CPUs while iterating over redistributors
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Ensure mutual exclusion between vPE affinity change
    and RD access
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Ensure mutual exclusion betwen invalidations on the
    same RD
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Advertise support v4.1 to KVM
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Map the ITS SGIR register page
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Plumb skeletal VSGI irqchip
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Add initial SGI configuration
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Plumb mask/unmask SGI callbacks
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Plumb get/set_irqchip_state SGI callbacks
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Plumb set_vcpu_affinity SGI callbacks
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Move doorbell management to the GICv4 abstraction
    layer
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Add VSGI allocation/teardown
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Add VSGI property setup
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Eagerly vmap vPEs
  KVM: arm64: GICv4.1: Let doorbells be auto-enabled
  KVM: arm64: GICv4.1: Add direct injection capability to SGI registers
  KVM: arm64: GICv4.1: Allow SGIs to switch between HW and SW interrupts
  KVM: arm64: GICv4.1: Plumb SGI implementation selection in the
    distributor
  KVM: arm64: GICv4.1: Reload VLPI configuration on distributor
    enable/disable
  KVM: arm64: GICv4.1: Allow non-trapping WFI when using HW SGIs
  KVM: arm64: GICv4.1: Expose HW-based SGIs in debugfs

Zenghui Yu (1):
  irqchip/gic-v4.1: Wait for completion of redistributor's INVALL
    operation

 arch/arm/include/asm/kvm_host.h        |   1 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/kvm_emulate.h   |   3 +-
 arch/arm64/include/asm/kvm_host.h      |   1 +
 drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its.c       | 422 +++++++++++++++++++++++--
 drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3.c           |  13 +-
 drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v4.c           | 134 +++++++-
 include/kvm/arm_vgic.h                 |   4 +
 include/linux/irqchip/arm-gic-common.h |   2 +
 include/linux/irqchip/arm-gic-v3.h     |  20 +-
 include/linux/irqchip/arm-gic-v4.h     |  25 +-
 virt/kvm/arm/arm.c                     |   8 +
 virt/kvm/arm/vgic/vgic-debug.c         |  14 +-
 virt/kvm/arm/vgic/vgic-mmio-v3.c       |  81 ++++-
 virt/kvm/arm/vgic/vgic-mmio.c          |  88 +++++-
 virt/kvm/arm/vgic/vgic-v3.c            |   6 +-
 virt/kvm/arm/vgic/vgic-v4.c            | 141 +++++++--
 virt/kvm/arm/vgic/vgic.h               |   1 +
 17 files changed, 895 insertions(+), 69 deletions(-)

-- 
2.20.1

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel