Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] media Kconfig reorg - part 2

From: Dan Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 13:59:49 +0300

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 04:36:31PM -0300, Helen Koike wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> On 3/25/20 1:03 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > That's the second part of media Kconfig changes. The entire series is
> > at:
> > 
> > 	https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/experimental.git/log/?h=media-kconfig
> 
> I made a quick experiment (using this branch) with someone who works
> with the kernel for his master degree, but doesn't have much experience in kernel development in general.
> I asked him to enable Vimc (from default configs, where multimedia starts disabled).

The whole config system is really outdated.

It should be that this task was done with a command like "kconfig enable
vimc".  It would ask necessary questions and pull in the dependencies
automatically.

Twenty years ago it made sense to go through the menus and select things
one by one.  Does anyone really start from defconfig any more?  Surely
everyone starts with a known working config and just enables specific
options.

I started to hack together some code to create a kconfig program to
enable and disable options.  The problem is that all library code
assumes we want to display menus so it was a lot of work and I gave up.

regards,
dan carpenter

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel