Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] kexec: Prevent removal of memory in use by a loaded kexec image

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 10:30:09 +0100

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:44:14AM +0800, Baoquan He wrote:
> Because We tend to use kexec_file_load more and improve/enhance it in the
> future, and gradually obsolete the old kexec_load interface which this
> patchset is trying to fix on. 

That's not going to happen; 32-bit ARM kexec uses the kexec_load
interface rather than the kexec_file_load version, and I see no one
with any interest in changing that - and there's users of the former.

I don't see how it's possible to convert 32-bit ARM kexec to the
kexec_file_load interface - this assumes that all you have are the
kernel, initrd, and commandline, but on 32-bit ARM kexec, we have
kernel, initrd and the dtb blob which the user can specify.

So, if we wanted to obsolete the kexec_load interface, _first_ there
needs to be a way to provide users with the existing functionality
they have already in place on 32-bit ARM - otherwise we're looking
at a userspace regression.  Especially as kexec_file_load takes
precedence on some distro patched versions of the kexec tool,
irrespective of which interface the user requests of the tool.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 10.2Mbps down 587kbps up

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel