Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 0/6] PWM fan support on Clearfog gt8k

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 16:42:31 +0200

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 03:37:40PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:
> On 2020-04-16 2:50 pm, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> [...]
> > Clocking with Marvell devices has always been interesting. Core IP
> > like this gets reused between different generations of SoCs. The
> > original Orion5x had no clock control at all. Latter SoCs have had
> > more and more complex clock trees. So care has to be taken to not
> > change old behaviour when adding support for new clocks.
> 
> FWIW, that sounds like a good argument for encoding the clock requirements
> of each variant in the of_match_data, so the driver doesn't have to simply
> trust the DT and hope.

Hi Robin

It is not really hope. It is very obvious when it is wrong, the whole
machine stops dead when you are missing a clock. Very simple to test.

	Andrew

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel