Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Introduce the for_each_set_clump macro

From: William Breathitt Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 09:50:33 -0400

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 05:54:07PM +0530, Syed Nayyar Waris wrote:
> This patchset introduces a new generic version of for_each_set_clump. 
> The previous version of for_each_set_clump8 used a fixed size 8-bit
> clump, but the new generic version can work with clump of any size but
> less than or equal to BITS_PER_LONG. The patchset utilizes the new macro 
> in several GPIO drivers.

Regarding the nomenclature, I created the term "clump" to represent an
8-bit value that was not necessarily a byte yet was a contiguous
grouping of bits. With this patchset, we now have a more generic
for_each_set_clump macro that can handle values larger and smaller than
8-bits.

Would it make sense to retire the term "clump" and instead use "nbits"
where applicable, in order to match the existing convention used by the
bitmap functions; for instance, would it be better to name this macro
for_each_set_nbits?

William Breathitt Gray
_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel