Subject: [PATCH v13 04/12] scs: disable when function graph tracing is enabled

From: Sami Tolvanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 09:00:10 -0700

The graph tracer hooks returns by modifying frame records on the
(regular) stack, but with SCS the return address is taken from the
shadow stack, and the value in the frame record has no effect. As we
don't currently have a mechanism to determine the corresponding slot
on the shadow stack (and to pass this through the ftrace
infrastructure), for now let's disable SCS when the graph tracer is
enabled.

With SCS the return address is taken from the shadow stack and the
value in the frame record has no effect. The mcount based graph tracer
hooks returns by modifying frame records on the (regular) stack, and
thus is not compatible. The patchable-function-entry graph tracer
used for DYNAMIC_FTRACE_WITH_REGS modifies the LR before it is saved
to the shadow stack, and is compatible.

Modifying the mcount based graph tracer to work with SCS would require
a mechanism to determine the corresponding slot on the shadow stack
(and to pass this through the ftrace infrastructure), and we expect
that everyone will eventually move to the patchable-function-entry
based graph tracer anyway, so for now let's disable SCS when the
mcount-based graph tracer is enabled.

SCS and patchable-function-entry are both supported from LLVM 10.x.

Signed-off-by: Sami Tolvanen <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Kees Cook <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Mark Rutland <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/Kconfig | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/arch/Kconfig b/arch/Kconfig
index 334a3d9b19df..45dfca9a98d3 100644
--- a/arch/Kconfig
+++ b/arch/Kconfig
@@ -543,6 +543,7 @@ config ARCH_SUPPORTS_SHADOW_CALL_STACK
 config SHADOW_CALL_STACK
 	bool "Clang Shadow Call Stack"
 	depends on CC_IS_CLANG && ARCH_SUPPORTS_SHADOW_CALL_STACK
+	depends on DYNAMIC_FTRACE_WITH_REGS || !FUNCTION_GRAPH_TRACER
 	help
 	  This option enables Clang's Shadow Call Stack, which uses a
 	  shadow stack to protect function return addresses from being
-- 
2.26.2.303.gf8c07b1a785-goog

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel