Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Allow either FLATMEM or SPARSEMEM on the multiplatform build

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 09:14:09 +0100

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 04:50:07PM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> This patch series somehow got lost back in 2015, and while looking at
> the various patches that we are carrying in our BRCMSTB downstream
> kernel those two patches should have made it upstream.

I don't believe it's a good idea for multiplatform.

If you have a platform that relies on sparsemem within the multiplatform
family, and you select flatmem, how would it boot?

Sparsemem can support flatmem layouts, but flatmem can't support
sparsemem layouts.

So, allowing flatmem seems to go against the underlying principle of
multiplatform support.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 10.2Mbps down 587kbps up

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel