Subject: [PATCH] dmaengine: at_hdmac: Replace zero-length array with flexible-array

From: "Gustavo A. R. Silva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 14:00:38 -0500

The current codebase makes use of the zero-length array language
extension to the C90 standard, but the preferred mechanism to declare
variable-length types such as these ones is a flexible array member[1][2],
introduced in C99:

struct foo {
        int stuff;
        struct boo array[];
};

By making use of the mechanism above, we will get a compiler warning
in case the flexible array does not occur last in the structure, which
will help us prevent some kind of undefined behavior bugs from being
inadvertently introduced[3] to the codebase from now on.

Also, notice that, dynamic memory allocations won't be affected by
this change:

"Flexible array members have incomplete type, and so the sizeof operator
may not be applied. As a quirk of the original implementation of
zero-length arrays, sizeof evaluates to zero."[1]

sizeof(flexible-array-member) triggers a warning because flexible array
members have incomplete type[1]. There are some instances of code in
which the sizeof operator is being incorrectly/erroneously applied to
zero-length arrays and the result is zero. Such instances may be hiding
some bugs. So, this work (flexible-array member conversions) will also
help to get completely rid of those sorts of issues.

This issue was found with the help of Coccinelle.

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Zero-Length.html
[2] https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/21
[3] commit 76497732932f ("cxgb3/l2t: Fix undefined behaviour")

Signed-off-by: Gustavo A. R. Silva <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/dma/at_hdmac_regs.h |    2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/drivers/dma/at_hdmac_regs.h b/drivers/dma/at_hdmac_regs.h
index 397692e937b3..80fc2fe8c77e 100644
--- a/drivers/dma/at_hdmac_regs.h
+++ b/drivers/dma/at_hdmac_regs.h
@@ -331,7 +331,7 @@ struct at_dma {
 	struct dma_pool		*dma_desc_pool;
 	struct dma_pool		*memset_pool;
 	/* AT THE END channels table */
-	struct at_dma_chan	chan[0];
+	struct at_dma_chan	chan[];
 };
 
 #define	dma_readl(atdma, name) \

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel