Subject: [PATCH 0/5] net: provide a devres variant of register_netdev()

From: Bartosz Golaszewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 13:44:10 +0200

From: Bartosz Golaszewski <[email-masked]>

This series applies on top of my mtk-eth-mac series[1].

Using devres helpers allows to shrink the probing code, avoid memory leaks in
error paths make sure the order in which resources are freed is the exact
opposite of their allocation. This series proposes to add a devres variant
of register_netdev() that will only work with net_device structures whose
memory is also managed.

First we add the missing documentation entry for the only other networking
devres helper: devm_alloc_etherdev().

Next we move devm_alloc_etherdev() into a separate source file.

We then use a proxy structure in devm_alloc_etherdev() to improve readability.

Last: we implement devm_register_netdev() and use it in mtk-eth-mac driver.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/20/507

Bartosz Golaszewski (5):
  Documentation: devres: add a missing section for networking helpers
  net: move devres helpers into a separate source file
  net: devres: define a separate devres structure for
    devm_alloc_etherdev()
  net: devres: provide devm_register_netdev()
  net: ethernet: mtk_eth_mac: use devm_register_netdev()

 .../driver-api/driver-model/devres.rst        |  5 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_mac.c   | 17 +---
 include/linux/netdevice.h                     |  2 +
 net/Makefile                                  |  2 +-
 net/devres.c                                  | 95 +++++++++++++++++++
 net/ethernet/eth.c                            | 28 ------
 6 files changed, 104 insertions(+), 45 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 net/devres.c

-- 
2.25.0

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel