Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 04/14] media: platform: Change the fixed device node number to unfixed value

From: Tomasz Figa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 13:59:37 +0000

Hi Xia,

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 05:40:23PM +0800, Xia Jiang wrote:
> Change device node number from 3 to -1 because that the driver will
> also support jpeg encoder.
> 

Thanks for the patch. The change is correct, but I think the commit
message doesn't really explain the real reason for it. Perhaps something
like

"The driver can be instantiated multiple times, e.g. for a decoder and
an encoder. Moreover, other drivers could coexist on the same system.
This makes the static video node number assignment pointless, so switch
to automatic assignment instead."

WDYT?

Best regards,
Tomasz

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel