Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/4] i2c: core: add generic GPIO bus recovery

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 23:09:42 +0200

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 05:19:00PM +0300, Codrin Ciubotariu wrote:
> GPIO recovery has been added already for some I2C bus drivers, such as
> imx, pxa and at91. These drivers use similar bindings and have more or
> less the same code for recovery. For this reason, we aim to move the
> GPIO bus recovery implementation to the I2C core so that other drivers
> can benefit from it, with small modifications.
> This implementation initializes the pinctrl states and the SDA/SCL
> GPIOs based on common bindings. The I2C bus drivers can still use
> different bindings or other particular recovery steps if needed.
> The ugly part with this patch series is the handle of PROBE_DEFER
> which could be returned by devm_gpiod_get(). This changes things a
> little for i2c_register_adapter() and for this reason this step is
> implemented in a sperate patch.
> The at91 Microchip driver is the first to use this implementation,
> with an AI to move the rest of the drivers in the following steps.

Thanks for doing this! On a first high level review, this looks very
good. I have one question in patch 1. From Tuesday on, I'll be
off-the-net for two weeks. Still I think it will be all good for the 5.9
merge window unless we encounter an unexpected problem. But as said, so
far it is looking good!

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel