Subject: Re: [PATCH] tty: xilinx_uartps: Really fix id assignment

From: Helmut Grohne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 11:50:30 +0200

Hi Michal,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 09:14:40AM +0200, Michal Simek wrote:
> On 13. 07. 20 14:10, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > Can we maybe trim down the matrix somehow? In my context, the need for
> > swapping the serial aliases arises from a limitation in u-boot-xlnx and
> > the desire to use one dtb for both linux and u-boot. It requires that
> > the serial0 alias is the console. Are there other reasons to swap them?
> > If not, maybe fixing u-boot would be an option?
> 
> I am not aware about any limitation in u-boot in this space. U-Boot is
> working with aliases and also with stdout-patch selection.
> Can you please elaborate more on this?

I have retested this (with more recent versions than earlier).

I confirm that u-boot correctly deals with aliases and
chosen/stdout-path. Using linear aliases and assigning stdout to serial1
works.

I also confirm that having ttyPS1 without having ttyPS0 works (only
tested with this patch applied). I questioned this earlier.

So it seems that the need for reversing these aliases is less strong
now. If I remember correctly, Jan Kiszka was also using reversed
aliases, but I don't know why.

Helmut

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel