Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 10/28] kbuild: lto: fix module versioning

From: Sami Tolvanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 11:23:08 -0700

On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 03:11:54PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 01:30:35PM -0700, Sami Tolvanen wrote:
> > With CONFIG_MODVERSIONS, version information is linked into each
> > compilation unit that exports symbols. With LTO, we cannot use this
> > method as all C code is compiled into LLVM bitcode instead. This
> > change collects symbol versions into .symversions files and merges
> > them in link-vmlinux.sh where they are all linked into vmlinux.o at
> > the same time.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Sami Tolvanen <[email-masked]>
> 
> The only thought I have here is I wonder if this change could be made
> universally instead of gating on LTO? (i.e. is it noticeably slower to
> do it this way under non-LTO?)

I don't think it's noticeably slower, but keeping the version information
in object files when possible is cleaner, in my opinion.

Sami

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel