Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] irqchip: Hybrid probing

From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 15:13:54 -0600

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 01:51:42PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> A recent attempt at converting a couple of interrupt controllers from
> early probing to standard platform drivers have badly failed, as it
> became evident that although an interrupt controller can easily probe
> late, device drivers for the endpoints connected to it are rarely
> equipped to deal with probe deferral. Changes were swiftly reverted.
>
> However, there is some value in *optionally* enabling this, if only
> for development purposes, as there is otherwise a "chicken and egg"
> problem, and a few people (cc'd) are working on a potential solution.
> 
> This short series enables the infrastructure for modular building
> whilst retaining the usual early probing for monolithic build, and
> introduces it to the three drivers that were previously made to probe
> as platform drivers.

I hardly expected more OF_DECLARE macros when I opened this up. Given 
desires to get rid of them, I don't think adding to it is the way 
forward. That wrapping a platform driver around OF_DECLARE looks pretty 
horrible IMO. 

I browsed some of the discussion around this. It didn't seem like it's 
a large number of drivers that have to be fixed to defer probe 
correctly. Am I missing something?

I'd rather keep the pressure on getting fw_devlink on by default.

Rob

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel