Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/6] iio:pressure:ms5637: switch to probe_new

From: Jonathan Cameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 17:04:53 +0000

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 15:26:17 +0200
Andy Shevchenko <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 2:01 AM Alexandre Belloni
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Switch to the modern i2c probe_new callback and drop the i2c_device_id
> > array.  
> 
> First part is okay.
> The second is interesting. It depends if we would like to keep a
> possibility to instantiate devices from user space (strictly speaking
> it's an ABI breakage).
> 
We've also been bitten by this recently via greybus which does
it's instantiations using the i2c_device_id table as I understand it.
That's resulted in us reverting a few specific cases where we'd
done pretty much what you have done here.

So drop that part of the change.

Thanks,

Jonathan

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel