Subject: Re: [PATCH v12 1/8] arm64: mte: Handle race when synchronising tags

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 18:32:28 +0100

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 01:32:32PM +0100, Steven Price wrote:
> mte_sync_tags() used test_and_set_bit() to set the PG_mte_tagged flag
> before restoring/zeroing the MTE tags. However if another thread were to
> race and attempt to sync the tags on the same page before the first
> thread had completed restoring/zeroing then it would see the flag is
> already set and continue without waiting. This would potentially expose
> the previous contents of the tags to user space, and cause any updates
> that user space makes before the restoring/zeroing has completed to
> potentially be lost.
> 
> Since this code is run from atomic contexts we can't just lock the page
> during the process. Instead implement a new (global) spinlock to protect
> the mte_sync_page_tags() function.
> 
> Fixes: 34bfeea4a9e9 ("arm64: mte: Clear the tags when a page is mapped in user-space with PROT_MTE")
> Signed-off-by: Steven Price <[email-masked]>

Other than the missing spinlock initialisation, the patch looks fine to
me.

Reviewed-by: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>

(though I'll probably queue it as a fix, waiting a couple of days for
comments)

-- 
Catalin

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel