Subject: Re: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] Inline helpers into Rust without full LTO

From: Miguel Ojeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2026 20:46:16 +0100

On Sun, 22 Mar 2026 20:21:59 +0100 Miguel Ojeda <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I will reply to a couple other bindings in separate emails to avoid
> spamming people too much.

Under UML, I got `-Wstatic-in-inline` for `dma_free_attrs`:

      BINDGEN rust/bindings/bindings_generated.rs - due to target missing
    In file included from rust/helpers/helpers.c:59:
    rust/helpers/dma.c:17:2: warning: static function 'dma_free_attrs' is used in an inline function with external linkage [-Wstatic-in-inline]
       17 |         dma_free_attrs(dev, size, cpu_addr, dma_handle, attrs);
          |         ^
    rust/helpers/dma.c:12:1: note: use 'static' to give inline function 'rust_helper_dma_free_attrs' internal linkage
       12 | __rust_helper void rust_helper_dma_free_attrs(struct device *dev, size_t size,
          | ^
          | static

For some reason, `dma_free_attrs` is not marked `inline` in
`include/linux/dma-mapping.h` to begin with, unlike the rest.

Unless I am missing something and there is a reason for that, it looks
like it has just been missing since it was added in commit ed6ccf10f24b
("dma-mapping: properly stub out the DMA API for !CONFIG_HAS_DMA").

Do you want a patch?

Cc'ing Marek, Robin, Danilo, Abdiel, Daniel, Andreas, Christoph.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Miguel