Subject: [PATCH 23/33] docs: rust: quick-start: update Ubuntu versioned packages

From: Miguel Ojeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2026 13:45:30 +0200

Now that the minimum supported Rust version is bumped, bump the versioned
Rust packages [1][2][3][4] to that version for Ubuntu in the Quick
Start guide.

In addition, add "may" to the `RUST_LIB_SRC` line since it does not look
like it is needed from a quick test in a Ubuntu 24.04 LTS container.

Link: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&searchon=names&keywords=rustc [1]
Link: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&searchon=names&keywords=bindgen [2]
Link: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rustc-1.85 [3]
Link: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rust-bindgen-0.71 [4]
Signed-off-by: Miguel Ojeda <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/rust/quick-start.rst | 28 ++++++++++++++--------------
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/rust/quick-start.rst b/Documentation/rust/quick-start.rst
index 642efce04ee8..54fe491deb7d 100644
--- a/Documentation/rust/quick-start.rst
+++ b/Documentation/rust/quick-start.rst
@@ -112,33 +112,33 @@ Though Ubuntu 24.04 LTS and older versions still provide recent Rust
 releases, they require some additional configuration to be set, using
 the versioned packages, e.g.::
 
-	apt install rustc-1.80 rust-1.80-src bindgen-0.65 rustfmt-1.80 \
-		rust-1.80-clippy
-	ln -s /usr/lib/rust-1.80/bin/rustfmt /usr/bin/rustfmt-1.80
-	ln -s /usr/lib/rust-1.80/bin/clippy-driver /usr/bin/clippy-driver-1.80
+	apt install rustc-1.85 rust-1.85-src bindgen-0.71 rustfmt-1.85 \
+		rust-1.85-clippy
+	ln -s /usr/lib/rust-1.85/bin/rustfmt /usr/bin/rustfmt-1.85
+	ln -s /usr/lib/rust-1.85/bin/clippy-driver /usr/bin/clippy-driver-1.85
 
 None of these packages set their tools as defaults; therefore they should be
 specified explicitly, e.g.::
 
-	make LLVM=1 RUSTC=rustc-1.80 RUSTDOC=rustdoc-1.80 RUSTFMT=rustfmt-1.80 \
-		CLIPPY_DRIVER=clippy-driver-1.80 BINDGEN=bindgen-0.65
+	make LLVM=1 RUSTC=rustc-1.85 RUSTDOC=rustdoc-1.85 RUSTFMT=rustfmt-1.85 \
+		CLIPPY_DRIVER=clippy-driver-1.85 BINDGEN=bindgen-0.71
 
-Alternatively, modify the ``PATH`` variable to place the Rust 1.80 binaries
+Alternatively, modify the ``PATH`` variable to place the Rust 1.85 binaries
 first and set ``bindgen`` as the default, e.g.::
 
-	PATH=/usr/lib/rust-1.80/bin:$PATH
+	PATH=/usr/lib/rust-1.85/bin:$PATH
 	update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/bindgen bindgen \
-		/usr/bin/bindgen-0.65 100
-	update-alternatives --set bindgen /usr/bin/bindgen-0.65
+		/usr/bin/bindgen-0.71 100
+	update-alternatives --set bindgen /usr/bin/bindgen-0.71
 
-``RUST_LIB_SRC`` needs to be set when using the versioned packages, e.g.::
+``RUST_LIB_SRC`` may need to be set when using the versioned packages, e.g.::
 
-	RUST_LIB_SRC=/usr/src/rustc-$(rustc-1.80 --version | cut -d' ' -f2)/library
+	RUST_LIB_SRC=/usr/src/rustc-$(rustc-1.85 --version | cut -d' ' -f2)/library
 
 For convenience, ``RUST_LIB_SRC`` can be exported to the global environment.
 
-In addition, ``bindgen-0.65`` is available in newer releases (24.04 LTS and
-24.10), but it may not be available in older ones (20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS),
+In addition, ``bindgen-0.71`` is available in newer releases (24.04 LTS),
+but it may not be available in older ones (20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS),
 thus ``bindgen`` may need to be built manually (please see below).

-- 
2.53.0