Subject: [PATCH v1 0/4] arm64: SFrame user space unwinding

From: Jens Remus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2026 17:08:23 +0200

This series adds arm64 support for unwinding of user space using SFrame V3.
It is based on Josh's, Steven's, and my work.

Prerequirements:

This series applies on top of the latest unwind user sframe series
"[PATCH v13 00/18] unwind_deferred: Implement sframe handling":
https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

For which Steven Rostedt kindly maintains a branch:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/linux-trace.git  sframe/core

Like above series it depends on binutils 2.46 to be used to build
executables and libraries (e.g. vDSO) with SFrame V3 on aarch64
(using the assembler option --gsframe-3).

The unwind user sframe series depends on a Glibc patch from Josh, that
adds support for the prctls introduced in the Kernel:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20250122023517.lmztuocecdjqzfhc@jpoimboe/
Note that Josh's Glibc patch needs to be adjusted for the updated prctl
numbers from "[PATCH v13 18/18] unwind_user/sframe: Add prctl() interface
for registering .sframe sections":
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/linux-trace.git/diff/include/uapi/linux/prctl.h?h=sframe/core

Overview:

Patch 1 enables deferred FP-based unwinding of user space on arm64.
This is used by unwind user as fallback if SFrame is not available.

Patch 2 adds an unsafe_copy_from_user() implementation for arm64.
This is needed by unwind user sframe to access .sframe sections.

Patch 3 enables .sframe generation in vDSO on arm64.

Patch 4 enables deferred SFrame-based unwinding of user space on arm64.

Usage:

perf tools already support the deferred unwinding infrastructure by
using option "--call-graph fp,defer" (name subject to change):

  $ perf record -F 999 --call-graph fp,defer /path/to/executable
  $ perf script

Limitations:

Support for PAC is not yet implemented.  Note that SFrame V3 already
provides the required information though:

  SFRAME_V3_AARCH64_FDE_PAUTH_KEY(fde_info)
  SFRAME_V3_AARCH64_FRE_MANGLED_RA_P(fre_info)

Thanks and regards,
Jens

Jens Remus (4):
  arm64/unwind_user/fp: Enable HAVE_UNWIND_USER_FP
  arm64/uaccess: Add unsafe_copy_from_user() implementation
  arm64/vdso: Enable SFrame generation in vDSO
  arm64/unwind_user/sframe: Enable sframe unwinding on arm64

 arch/arm64/Kconfig                          |  2 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/uaccess.h            | 39 +++++++++----
 arch/arm64/include/asm/unwind_user.h        | 65 +++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/arm64/include/asm/unwind_user_sframe.h |  8 +++
 arch/arm64/kernel/vdso/Makefile             | 14 ++++-
 arch/arm64/kernel/vdso/vdso.lds.S           | 21 +++++++
 6 files changed, 137 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/arm64/include/asm/unwind_user.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm64/include/asm/unwind_user_sframe.h

-- 
2.51.0