Subject: [PATCH v4 0/3] Enforce host page-size alignment for shared buffers

From: "Aneesh Kumar K.V (Arm)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2026 12:01:05 +0530

Hi all,

This patch series addresses alignment requirements for buffers shared between
private-memory guests and the host.

When running private-memory guests, the guest kernel must apply additional
constraints when allocating buffers that are shared with the hypervisor. These
shared buffers are also accessed by the host kernel and therefore must be
aligned to the host’s page size.

Architectures such as Arm can tolerate realm physical address space PFNs being
mapped as shared memory, as incorrect accesses are detected and reported as GPC
faults. However, relying on this mechanism alone is unsafe and can still lead to
kernel crashes.

This is particularly likely when guest_memfd allocations are mmapped and
accessed from userspace. Once exposed to userspace, it is not possible to
guarantee that applications will only access the intended 4K shared region
rather than the full 64K page mapped into their address space. Such userspace
addresses may also be passed back into the kernel and accessed via the linear
map, potentially resulting in a GPC fault and a kernel crash.

To address this, the series introduces a new helpers,
mem_decrypt_granule_size() and mem_decrypt_align(), which allows callers to
enforce the required alignment for shared buffers.

Changes from v3:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]
* Fix build error reported by kernel test robot <[email-masked]>

Changes from v2:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]
* Rebase to latest kernel
* Consider swiotlb always decrypted and don't align when allocating from swiotlb.

Changes from v1:
* Rename the helper to mem_encrypt_align
* Improve the commit message
* Handle DMA allocations from contiguous memory
* Handle DMA allocations from the pool
* swiotlb is still considered unencrypted. Support for an encrypted swiotlb pool
  is left as TODO and is independent of this series.

Cc: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Cc: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Cc: Marek Szyprowski <[email-masked]>
Cc: Robin Murphy <[email-masked]>
Cc: Steven Price <[email-masked]>
Cc: Suzuki K Poulose <[email-masked]>
Cc: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Cc: Will Deacon <[email-masked]>

Aneesh Kumar K.V (Arm) (3):
  dma-direct: swiotlb: handle swiotlb alloc/free outside
    __dma_direct_alloc_pages
  swiotlb: dma: its: Enforce host page-size alignment for shared buffers
  coco: guest: arm64: Query host IPA-change alignment via RHI

 arch/arm64/include/asm/mem_encrypt.h |  3 ++
 arch/arm64/include/asm/rhi.h         | 24 ++++++++++++
 arch/arm64/include/asm/rsi.h         |  2 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/rsi_cmds.h    | 10 +++++
 arch/arm64/include/asm/rsi_smc.h     |  7 ++++
 arch/arm64/kernel/Makefile           |  2 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/rhi.c              | 54 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/arm64/kernel/rsi.c              | 13 +++++++
 arch/arm64/mm/mem_encrypt.c          | 27 +++++++++++--
 drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its.c     | 20 ++++++----
 include/linux/mem_encrypt.h          | 14 +++++++
 kernel/dma/contiguous.c              | 10 +++++
 kernel/dma/direct.c                  | 58 ++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 kernel/dma/pool.c                    |  4 +-
 kernel/dma/swiotlb.c                 | 21 ++++++----
 15 files changed, 240 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/arm64/include/asm/rhi.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm64/kernel/rhi.c

-- 
2.43.0