Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] Revert "dt-bindings: display: bridge: ldb: Fill in reg property"

From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2026 09:15:38 -0500

On Mon, May 04, 2026 at 10:21:42PM +0200, Marco Felsch wrote:
> This reverts commit 16c8d76abe83d75b578d72ee22d25a52c764e14a.
> 
> Remove the 'reg' and 'reg-names' property from the LDB.
> 
> The LDB is either part of the IOMUX_GPR (i.MX6SX) or the BLKCTRL
> (i.MX8MP, i.MX93) register space. Both IOMUX_GPR and BLKCTRL are
> register ranges with loose register definitions. E.g.
> 
>   - On the i.MX8MP there is one register which controls the AXI
>     threshold for two different IPs (BIT(31:16) - IP1, BIT(15:0) - IP2).
>   - On the i.MX6SX IOMUXC_GPR5 controlls: CSI2 mux, WDOG3 settings, PXP
>     handshake, ...
> 
> In conclusion: it can't be ensured that one register belongs to one
> dedicated IP and the LDB is rather an exception than the rule.

It is fine if there's a child node for LDB if the LDB registers are 
consistent, but the other misc things are represented by the parent 
node. It is certainly not a requirement that either everything be in 
child nodes or nothing be in child nodes.

What I don't see in this series is what problem does this fix? If you 
are going to break compatibility, then there had better be a good 
reason.

Rob