Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 03/10] net: airoha: Move airoha_qdma pointer in airoha_gdm_dev struct

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2026 18:46:06 -0700

This is an AI-generated review of your patch. The human sending this
email has considered the AI review valid, or at least plausible.
---
Subject: net: airoha: Move airoha_qdma pointer in airoha_gdm_dev struct

This patch moves the airoha_qdma pointer from struct airoha_gdm_port into
struct airoha_gdm_dev, as a preparation for allowing multiple net_devices
to share the same GDM{3,4} port via an external hw arbiter.

> diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c
> index 4af64f182968..1798b4a6cf5d 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c

[ ... ]

> @@ -854,7 +855,8 @@ static void airoha_qdma_wake_netdev_txqs(struct airoha_queue *q)
>  		if (!port)
>  			continue;
>  
> -		if (port->qdma != qdma)
> +		dev = port->dev;
> +		if (dev->qdma != qdma)
>  			continue;
>  
>  		dev = port->dev;

[Low]
The resulting loop body assigns dev = port->dev; twice with nothing in
between that could change port->dev:

	dev = port->dev;
	if (dev->qdma != qdma)
		continue;

	dev = port->dev;
	for (j = 0; j < dev->dev->num_tx_queues; j++) {

Is the second dev = port->dev; intentional, or leftover from the
refactor that should be removed?

[Medium]
Can the new dev->qdma dereference run while port->dev is still NULL?

Looking at airoha_alloc_gdm_port(), eth->ports[p] = port is stored before
airoha_alloc_gdm_device() runs, and airoha_alloc_gdm_device() only sets
port->dev = dev at its very end, after several failure points
(devm_alloc_etherdev_mqs, netif_set_real_num_tx_queues,
of_get_ethdev_address).

The existing cleanup in airoha_probe's error_napi_stop path and in
airoha_remove guards accesses with if (dev && ...) when reading
port->dev, which suggests port->dev can legitimately be NULL while
eth->ports[i] is non-NULL.

Before the patch the equivalent check read port->qdma (an embedded field
zeroed by devm_kzalloc), so the compare was NULL-tolerant. After the
patch:

	struct airoha_gdm_port *port = eth->ports[i];
	struct airoha_gdm_dev *dev;
	...
	if (!port)
		continue;

	dev = port->dev;
	if (dev->qdma != qdma)
		continue;

would dereference a NULL dev if port->dev has not yet been assigned when
airoha_qdma_wake_netdev_txqs() runs. Would a NULL check on port->dev (or
reverting to the original port-field-based test) be appropriate here to
preserve the prior robustness?