Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 05/10] net: airoha: Move qos_sq_bmap in airoha_qdma struct

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2026 18:46:09 -0700

This is an AI-generated review of your patch. The human sending this
email has considered the AI review valid, or at least plausible.
---
    net: airoha: Move qos_sq_bmap in airoha_qdma struct

The change moves the HTB-offload channel-allocation bitmap from the
per-netdev airoha_gdm_port to the per-QDMA airoha_qdma, so sibling
netdevs attached to different QDMA blocks no longer clobber each other's
bitmap.

> diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c
> index 080705e2f58d..69a4c2e0d58b 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c
> @@ -2600,7 +2600,7 @@ static int airoha_tc_htb_alloc_leaf_queue(struct net_device *netdev,
>  	u32 rate = div_u64(opt->rate, 1000) << 3; /* kbps */
>  	int err, num_tx_queues = netdev->real_num_tx_queues;
>  	struct airoha_gdm_dev *dev = netdev_priv(netdev);
> -	struct airoha_gdm_port *port = dev->port;
> +	struct airoha_qdma *qdma = dev->qdma;
>  
>  	if (opt->parent_classid != TC_HTB_CLASSID_ROOT) {
>  		NL_SET_ERR_MSG_MOD(opt->extack, "invalid parent classid");
> @@ -2627,7 +2627,7 @@ static int airoha_tc_htb_alloc_leaf_queue(struct net_device *netdev,
>  		return err;
>  	}
>  
> -	set_bit(channel, port->qos_sq_bmap);
> +	set_bit(channel, qdma->qos_sq_bmap);
>  	opt->qid = AIROHA_NUM_TX_RING + channel;
>  
>  	return 0;

[High]
Now that qos_sq_bmap is per-QDMA, can two sibling netdevs that share the
same QDMA block collide on allocation?  On EN7581, GDM2/GDM3/GDM4 all
select the same qdma pointer via:

    drivers/net/ethernet/airoha/airoha_eth.c:
        /* QDMA0 is used for lan ports while QDMA1 is used for WAN ports */
        dev->qdma = &eth->qdma[!airoha_is_lan_gdm_dev(dev)];

and airoha_is_lan_gdm_dev() returns true only for port->id == 1, so
every non-LAN GDM netdev resolves to eth->qdma[1] and shares
qdma->qos_sq_bmap.

The allocation path does not test the bit before setting it:

    channel = TC_H_MIN(opt->classid) % AIROHA_NUM_QOS_CHANNELS;
    ...
    set_bit(channel, qdma->qos_sq_bmap);
    opt->qid = AIROHA_NUM_TX_RING + channel;

If two sibling netdevs on the same QDMA pick classids whose TC_H_MIN
maps to the same channel, both airoha_qdma_set_tx_rate_limit() calls
program the same HW TRTCM egress slot, the later caller silently
overwrites the earlier configuration, and both netdevs receive the same
opt->qid.  Should this path use test_and_set_bit() (or similar owner
tracking) to reject a channel already owned by a sibling netdev?

> @@ -2811,11 +2811,11 @@ static int airoha_dev_setup_tc_block(struct net_device *dev,
>  static void airoha_tc_remove_htb_queue(struct net_device *netdev, int queue)
>  {
>  	struct airoha_gdm_dev *dev = netdev_priv(netdev);
> -	struct airoha_gdm_port *port = dev->port;
> +	struct airoha_qdma *qdma = dev->qdma;
>  
>  	netif_set_real_num_tx_queues(netdev, netdev->real_num_tx_queues - 1);
>  	airoha_qdma_set_tx_rate_limit(netdev, queue + 1, 0, 0);
> -	clear_bit(queue, port->qos_sq_bmap);
> +	clear_bit(queue, qdma->qos_sq_bmap);
>  }

[High]
airoha_tc_remove_htb_queue() operates unconditionally on the caller's
netdev but clears a bit that may be owned by a sibling netdev on the
same QDMA.  The effects that follow look like cross-netdev interference:

  - netif_set_real_num_tx_queues(netdev, real_num_tx_queues - 1)
    decrements the caller's tx-queue count for a queue it never
    allocated, and its return value is discarded (eventually the txq<1
    EINVAL guard in netif_set_real_num_tx_queues() will trip silently).

  - airoha_qdma_set_tx_rate_limit(netdev, queue + 1, 0, 0) zeros the
    egress TRTCM rate-limit registers for a channel that the sibling
    netdev still considers active.

  - clear_bit(queue, qdma->qos_sq_bmap) then hides the channel from the
    legitimate owner's later test_bit() checks.

> @@ -2838,10 +2838,10 @@ static int airoha_tc_htb_delete_leaf_queue(struct net_device *netdev,
>  static int airoha_tc_htb_destroy(struct net_device *netdev)
>  {
>  	struct airoha_gdm_dev *dev = netdev_priv(netdev);
> -	struct airoha_gdm_port *port = dev->port;
> +	struct airoha_qdma *qdma = dev->qdma;
>  	int q;
>  
> -	for_each_set_bit(q, port->qos_sq_bmap, AIROHA_NUM_QOS_CHANNELS)
> +	for_each_set_bit(q, qdma->qos_sq_bmap, AIROHA_NUM_QOS_CHANNELS)
>  		airoha_tc_remove_htb_queue(netdev, q);
>  
>  	return 0;
>  }

[High]
Does airoha_tc_htb_destroy() now walk bits owned by sibling netdevs?
The iteration no longer filters by owning netdev:

    for_each_set_bit(q, qdma->qos_sq_bmap, AIROHA_NUM_QOS_CHANNELS)
        airoha_tc_remove_htb_queue(netdev, q);

Previously each netdev had a private bitmap, so destroy could only
touch its own channels.  After this change, tearing down HTB on one
GDM netdev appears to remove channels and clear rate-limit HW state
belonging to every sibling GDM netdev on the same QDMA.  A subsequent
tc-htb delete or get on the legitimate owner then hits:

    if (!test_bit(channel, qdma->qos_sq_bmap)) {
        NL_SET_ERR_MSG_MOD(opt->extack, "invalid queue id");
        return -EINVAL;
    }

Should the bitmap track the owning netdev alongside the bit (for
example a per-channel owner pointer, or a per-netdev sub-bitmap inside
airoha_qdma), so that destroy/delete can only touch channels owned by
the caller?

> @@ -2852,9 +2852,9 @@ static int airoha_tc_get_htb_get_leaf_queue(struct net_device *netdev,
>  {
>  	u32 channel = TC_H_MIN(opt->classid) % AIROHA_NUM_QOS_CHANNELS;
>  	struct airoha_gdm_dev *dev = netdev_priv(netdev);
> -	struct airoha_gdm_port *port = dev->port;
> +	struct airoha_qdma *qdma = dev->qdma;
>  
> -	if (!test_bit(channel, port->qos_sq_bmap)) {
> +	if (!test_bit(channel, qdma->qos_sq_bmap)) {
>  		NL_SET_ERR_MSG_MOD(opt->extack, "invalid queue id");
>  		return -EINVAL;
>  	}