Subject: [PATCH v3] tracing: Fix nr_subbufs initialization in simple_ring_buffer_init_mm()

From: David Carlier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2026 14:54:20 +0100

nr_subbufs in the ring buffer metadata is always initialized to zero
because it is assigned from cpu_buffer->nr_pages before the page
initialization loop has run. While nr_subbufs is not currently read
by the kernel, it should reflect the actual buffer geometry in the
meta page for correctness.

Move the assignment after the page loop so that cpu_buffer->nr_pages
holds the final count.

Fixes: 34e5b958bdad ("tracing: Introduce simple_ring_buffer")
Reviewed-by: Vincent Donnefort <[email-masked]>
Assisted-by: Claude:claude-opus-4-7
Signed-off-by: David Carlier <[email-masked]>
---
 kernel/trace/simple_ring_buffer.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/kernel/trace/simple_ring_buffer.c b/kernel/trace/simple_ring_buffer.c
index 02af2297ae5a..f731f14d0ff7 100644
--- a/kernel/trace/simple_ring_buffer.c
+++ b/kernel/trace/simple_ring_buffer.c
@@ -395,7 +395,6 @@ int simple_ring_buffer_init_mm(struct simple_rb_per_cpu *cpu_buffer,
 
 	memset(cpu_buffer->meta, 0, sizeof(*cpu_buffer->meta));
 	cpu_buffer->meta->meta_page_size = PAGE_SIZE;
-	cpu_buffer->meta->nr_subbufs = cpu_buffer->nr_pages;
 
 	/* The reader page is not part of the ring initially */
 	page = load_page(desc->page_va[0]);
@@ -437,6 +436,7 @@ int simple_ring_buffer_init_mm(struct simple_rb_per_cpu *cpu_buffer,
 		return ret;
 	}
 
+	cpu_buffer->meta->nr_subbufs = cpu_buffer->nr_pages;
 	/* Close the ring */
 	bpage->link.next = &cpu_buffer->tail_page->link;
 	cpu_buffer->tail_page->link.prev = &bpage->link;
-- 
2.53.0