Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] scmi: Log client subsystem entity counts

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2026 08:48:19 +0200

On Wed, May 13, 2026 at 11:27:21AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 5/13/26 11:02, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > +Greg (I believe the trend is to drop such messages and not add them [back]?)
> > 
> 
> Is there some common guidance on this ? I'd be all for dropping messages
> instead of adding them, but there seems to be a perpetual battle between
> people who want to log everything and people concerned about logging noise.
> As maintainer I always seem to be stuck between those two camps.

When drivers work properly, they should be quiet.  This patch series
adds a bunch of dev_info() calls, which is not ok.  If a developer wants
to see extra messages, use the dev_dbg() infrastructure, or the tracing
infrastructure, both of which are there for this very reason.

So yes, I agree with Andy, this series is not ok, don't make more noise
please.

thanks,

greg k-h