Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/2] arm64: add SMCCC cache invalidation backend for memregion users

From: Srirangan Madhavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2026 07:30:45 +0000

This series adds an arm64 backend for memregion cache invalidation users
based on the Arm SMCCC cache clean+invalidate interface.

Per DEN0028, this interface targets systems where a Normal Cacheable
memory region can be modified in ways that are not handled by usual PE
coherency mechanisms, and where VA-based CMOs may be too slow or
insufficient for large ranges and/or system-cache implementations.

Representative use cases include device-backed memory state transitions
where stale CPU/system cache lines must be invalidated reliably (for
example secure erase, reset/offline flows, and dynamic memory
reconfiguration).

Patch 1 introduces the Arm SMCCC cache clean/invalidate function IDs and
transient return codes needed by callers [1].

Patch 2 adds an arm64 cache maintenance provider that:
- discovers SMCCC support and attributes at init time
- registers with the generic cache coherency framework used by
  cpu_cache_invalidate_memregion()
- handles transient BUSY/RATE_LIMITED responses with bounded retries
- coalesces waiters when firmware reports a global operation type

This patch set does not add a software fallback path; when firmware does
not implement the SMCCC cache maintenance interface, the provider is not
registered and existing behavior is preserved.

Reference:
[1] https://developer.arm.com/documentation/den0028/latest

Srirangan Madhavan (2):
  arm64: smccc: add cache clean/invalidate IDs and return codes
  arm64: mm: add SMCCC-backed cache invalidate provider

 MAINTAINERS                     |   1 +
 arch/arm64/mm/Makefile          |   1 +
 arch/arm64/mm/cache_maint.c     | 180 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/arm-smccc.h       |  17 ++-
 tools/include/linux/arm-smccc.h |  17 ++-
 5 files changed, 212 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/arm64/mm/cache_maint.c

base-commit: 3b3bea6d4b9c162f9e555905d96b8c1da67ecd5b
-- 
2.43.0