Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] crypto: Delete Qualcomm crypto engine driver

From: Eric Biggers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2026 15:45:37 -0500

On Sun, May 24, 2026 at 10:29:28PM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On 24/05/2026 22:12, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> > On 5/24/26 12:42, Dmitry Baryshkov wrote:
> >> On Sat, May 23, 2026 at 03:03:56PM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour via B4 Relay wrote:
> >>> From: Demi Marie Obenour <[email-masked]>
> >>>
> >>> It's slower than the generic C code and causes problems.
> >>
> >> Which problems?
> > 
> > See https://lore.kernel.org/all/20260522024912.GC5937@quark/.
> 
> Your commit is still incomplete and other people's opinion is poor
> reason. If you do not know what to write, ask that person to make
> necessary changes.
> 
> Not mentioning that removing driver is not even necessary to achieve the
> goal Eric was mentioning and if I understood correctly: you are removing
> even the pieces Eric found useful.

This driver is more than an order of magnitude slower than the CPU for
both encryption and hashing.  See:

    https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]/
    https://lore.kernel.org/r/20250615031807.GA81869@sol/

There are many examples of it having bugs as well, for example see the
second link above.

That's why it had to be disabled via the cra_priority system.  This
driver was actively making Linux worse.

This isn't particularly unique to drivers/crypto/, of course.  This one
we just have data on, so it's a bit clearer.

I've yet to see any real reason to keep this driver.

Crypto drivers need to be held to a higher standard than other device
drivers, as well.  The onus is on those who want to keep a particular
crypto driver to prove that it's worth keeping.

- Eric