Subject: [PATCH v6 0/8] media: meson: Fix memory leak in error path in vdec

From: Anand Moon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2026 15:12:46 +0530

v6: Changes

The previous approach had some technical issues, so this new version
takes a slightly different approach, I have fixed the DMA warnings
found during basic testing.

I have donse basic testing on the Odroid N2+ and found that
the clocks are not enabling for decoder.

It also seems some Mali GPU configurations are still missing.

You can reproduce the test case using:

mpv --hwdec=v4l2m2m Big_Buck_Bunny_1080_10s_30MB.mp4

Please let me know your feedback so we can discuss and address these
points!

Thanks
-Anand 

V5: Changes

[v5] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
 
Following chamges try to fix the memory leak reported by Sashiko

New issues:
- [High] The newly added error path in `vdec_start_streaming()` leaks
  `sess->priv` when `kthread_run()` fails.

Pre-existing issues:
- [Critical] Race condition between hardware power-on and `core->cur_sess`
   initialization leads to a NULL pointer dereference in the IRQ handler.
- [High] Returning buffers for both source and destination queues upon
    single-queue failure orphans active queue buffers.
- [High] Concurrent sessions can bypass the hardware exclusivity check,
  leading to simultaneous hardware programming.
--

V4: Changes:

v4: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Following chamges try to fix the memory leak reported by Sashiko

Pre-existing issues:
- [Critical] The `sess->esparser_queue_work` work item is not canceled
   before freeing the session context, leading to a potential Use-After-Free
   vulnerability.
- [High] The patch attempts to fix a memory leak reported by kmemleak,
    but misdiagnoses the root cause and leaves the primary memory leak
    (the V4L2 control handler) unresolved.
- [High] The driver does not verify if `kthread_run()` returns an `ERR_PTR`,
     leading to a kernel panic when `kthread_stop()` is called.

Thanks
-Anand

Anand Moon (8):
  media: meson: vdec: Fix memory leaks and lifetime of m2m device
  media: meson: vdec: Fix concurrent STREAMON / STREAMOFF race
    conditions
  media: meson: vdec: Handle kthread failure and free codec state
  media: meson: vdec: Condition buffer flushing on queue type in
    start_streaming
  media: meson: vdec: Cancel esparser work during teardown
  media: meson: vdec: Configure DMA mask and segment size in probe
  media: meson: vdec: Fix NULL pointer dereference in ISR handlers
  gpu: drm: meson: Fix DMA max segment size for DMABUF imports

 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_drv.c       |   2 +
 drivers/staging/media/meson/vdec/vdec.c | 179 +++++++++++++++++-------
 drivers/staging/media/meson/vdec/vdec.h |   4 +-
 3 files changed, 136 insertions(+), 49 deletions(-)

base-commit: f5e5d3509bffb95c6648eb9795f7f236852ae62d
-- 
2.50.1