Subject: [PATCH 0/6] drm: Open-code drm_simple_encoder_init() in several drivers

From: Naman Arora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2026 13:05:26 +0530

drm_simple_encoder_init() is a thin wrapper around drm_encoder_init()
that provides a simple destroy-only encoder funcs struct. This series
removes the dependency on drm_simple_kms_helper in six drivers by
open-coding the encoder initialization directly.

Each patch adds a static drm_encoder_funcs struct with a destroy
callback and replaces drm_simple_encoder_init() with drm_encoder_init().
The drm_simple_kms_helper.h include is removed where it is no longer
needed.

Drivers converted in this series:
- fsl-dcu
- tidss
- virtio
- meson (encoder_cvbs, encoder_hdmi, encoder_dsi)

Naman Arora (6):
  drm/fsl-dcu: Open-code drm_simple_encoder_init()
  drm/tidss: Open-code drm_simple_encoder_init()
  drm/virtio: Open-code drm_simple_encoder_init()
  drm/meson: Open-code drm_simple_encoder_init() in encoder_cvbs
  drm/meson: Open-code drm_simple_encoder_init() in encoder_hdmi
  drm/meson: Open-code drm_simple_encoder_init() in encoder_dsi

 drivers/gpu/drm/fsl-dcu/fsl_dcu_drm_rgb.c  | 10 +++++++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_encoder_cvbs.c | 10 +++++++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_encoder_dsi.c  | 10 +++++++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_encoder_hdmi.c | 10 +++++++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/tidss/tidss_encoder.c      | 10 +++++++---
 drivers/gpu/drm/virtio/virtgpu_display.c   |  8 ++++++--
 6 files changed, 41 insertions(+), 17 deletions(-)

-- 
2.20.1