Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/15] KVM: Dynamically size memslot arrays

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 17:30:20 +0100

On 2019-10-25 00:07, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> The end goal of this series is to dynamically size the memslot array 
> so
> that KVM allocates memory based on the number of memslots in use, as
> opposed to unconditionally allocating memory for the maximum number 
> of
> memslots.  On x86, each memslot consumes 88 bytes, and so with 2 
> address
> spaces of 512 memslots, each VM consumes ~90k bytes for the memslots.
> E.g. given a VM that uses a total of 30 memslots, dynamic sizing 
> reduces
> the memory footprint from 90k to ~2.6k bytes.
>
> The changes required to support dynamic sizing are relatively small,
> e.g. are essentially contained in patches 14/15 and 15/15.  Patches 
> 1-13
> clean up the memslot code, which has gotten quite crusty, especially
> __kvm_set_memory_region().  The clean up is likely not strictly 
> necessary
> to switch to dynamic sizing, but I didn't have a remotely reasonable
> level of confidence in the correctness of the dynamic sizing without 
> first
> doing the clean up.

I've finally found time to test this on a garden variety of arm64 
boxes,
and nothing caught fire. It surely must be doing something right!

FWIW:

Tested-by: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>

         M.
-- 
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny...

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel