Subject: [PATCH 2/2] isdn: i4l: move active-isdn drivers to staging

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 22:19:29 +0100

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:24:36 PM CET Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 08:06:46PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > The icn, act2000 and pcbit drivers are all for very old hardware,
> > and it is highly unlikely that anyone is actually still using them
> > on modern kernels, if at all.
> > 
> > All three drivers apparently are for hardware that predates PCI
> > being the common connector, as they are ISA-only and active
> > PCI ISDN cards were widely available in the 1990s.
> > 
> > Looking through the git logs, it I cannot find any indication of a
> > patch to any of these drivers that has been tested on real hardware,
> > only cleanups or global API changes.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
> > Acked-by: Karsten Keil <[email-masked]>
> 
> This patch got added in the 4.6 kernel release.  As I am now taking
> patches for 4.11-rc1, I figure it is time to just delete the
> drivers/staging/i4l/ directory now, given that no one has really done
> anything with it.  If people show up that wish to maintain it, I'll be
> glad to revert it, or if someone really screams in the next week.
> Otherwise it's time to just move on 

Sounds good to me. My original series contained four more patches that
I did not post again after there was some concern[1] that we did not
come to a conclusion on:

isdn: gigaset: remove i4l code
isdn: move isdnhdlc out of i4l
isdn: i4l: move hisax driver to staging
isdn: move i4l to staging

I can post those as well, at least I think the first two are helpful
for untangling i4l from the rest of ISDN.  I also still think that
moving hisax and i4l to staging is reasonable given the state of
that code, even if there are a couple of users today.

	Arnd

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/3/4/762