Subject: [PATCH v6 10/25] iommu: exynos: remove useless device_add/remove callbacks

From: [email-masked] (Laurent Pinchart)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 22:37:35 +0300

Hi Joerg,

On Monday 18 May 2015 19:04:30 Joerg Roedel wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 02:09:14PM +0200, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> > > Hmm, will this remove support for iommu-groups in the exynos driver? I
> > > am still working on the default-domain patch-set which makes iommu-group
> > > support mandatory for iommu-drivers.
> > 
> > I you wish, I can leave this code. iommu-groups were not used at all
> > on Exynos, so I thought that there is no point keeping useless code.
> 
> Yes, please keep the iommu-goups support, it will be required at some
> point.

I think the concept of iommu groups isn't very well understood, hence the 
little love it receives from developers who conclude it's useless. I can't 
blame anyone, I don't do any better. Could I convince you to include 
documentation in your next patch series that touches iommu groups ?

Could you please have a look at my "[RFC/PATCH 0/9] IOMMU probe deferral 
support" patch series in the context of iommu groups ? The series pretty much 
drops groups support from the ipmmu-vmsa driver, not because of a real desire 
to do so, but because I wasn't sure how to keep them. Tips would be 
appreciated.

-- 
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart