Subject: [PATCH v2] Input: Make ADS7846 independent on regulator

From: [email-masked] (Igor Grinberg)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:49:07 +0200

On 09/09/10 12:41, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 10:27:17AM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
>> Dne ?t 7. z??? 2010 14:53:35 Mark Brown napsal(a):
>>> From a regulator API usage point of view a separate implementation of
>>> the same thing was nacked - there are regulator API facilties for hiding
>>> missing regulators from drivers when needed to get systems going, unless
>>> the device genuinely can cope without supplies it should be relying on
>>> those.

I actually, don't see why ads7846 is strictly relying on the regulator
and I don't understand, why ads7846 driver has to bail out if the regulator
is not found? Why shouldn't the driver try to continue?
I think it should bail out only in case communicating with the device failed.

>> Maybe these platforms should have been fixed prior to applying the patch adding 
>> regulator goo into ads7846 driver then. What's the way to go now then ?
> Fix the platforms and use the dummy regulators to keep them going until
> that happens.  It's trivial to do the hookup in the platforms.

You want each platform, that does not have a special regulated power supply
for the ads7846, to define a dummy regulator just to cope with that artificial
dependency of the device driver?
I think it is a waste and big code duplication in each platform
that does not have that special regulator.

-- 
Regards,
Igor.