Subject: [PATCHv5 0/3] Introduce the /proc/socinfo and use it to export OMAP data

From: [email-masked] (Saravana Kannan)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:51:34 -0800

On 02/28/2011 02:28 AM, Maxime Coquelin wrote:
> Hello Eduardo,
>
> On 02/16/2011 12:57 PM, Eduardo Valentin wrote:
>>> Eduardo, what has happened to this patchset?
>> Got forgotten :-(. Unfortunately I didn't pushed it hard enough.
> I propose to refactor your patchset, moving from procfs to sysfs.

>>> Do you want help in picking it up and try to polish it up?
>> Yeah, but it would need a refactoring. IIRC, result of last discussion
>> was that we should not mess with /proc. So, maybe moving back
 >> to something under sysfs. Perhaps /sys/devices/soc or so?
> About the location of this new sysfs entry, where do you think it should
> be?
> I propose to create a new directory named "soc" in /sys/devices/system/.
>
> As platform vendors have several/different kind of IDs to export to
> sysfs, I propose each vendor to create file entries related to their IDs
> (eg. /sys/devices/system/soc/idcode for OMAP platforms).

I think the path /sys/devices/system/soc/ will work for the MSM too. I 
would have ideally liked it to be /sys/devices/system/soc/msm, 
/sys/devices/system/soc/omap, etc, but we can't get to pick names for 
devices under a class. So, we can make do with /sys/devices/system/soc/.

> However, I think we should have a common file entry to export the unique
> ID of the platforms. Indeed, user-space applications should have a
> unified way to get this kind of ID, regardless of the platform (eg.
> /sys/devices/system/soc/unique_id).

I like the idea of have a common file across all implementations that 
will let user space identify what implementation is exporting the other 
files and how to interpret them.

I would like to propose an "arch" file to identify the arch the soc info 
file are for. I'm guessing within an arch, the soc files would mostly be 
the same? If there are other minor differences, we can let the arch 
specific code deal with how the files are interpreted.

Does "arch" work for everyone?

Thanks,
Saravana
-- 
Sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum.