Subject: Shouldn't DT preserve pdev name and id to allow platform_match to work?

From: [email-masked] (Cousson, Benoit)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 14:31:16 +0200

On 8/5/2011 12:02 PM, Barry Song wrote:
>> auxdata passes platform_data and overrides the device name when there
>> is no way easy way to make the driver work without it.  It handles the
>> the current implementation of clocks and regulators which aren't yet
>> populated from the device tree.  It will go away when clock&
>> regulator bindings are implemented.
> Yes. As OF_DEV_AUXDATA_ID still requires hardware information like
> 0x48000100 as below, it seems it is not
> consistent with the origin purpose of ARM DT.
> OF_DEV_AUXDATA_ID("ti,omap-i2c", 0x48000100, "omap-i2c.1", 1,&i2c_pdata)
> And the information 0x48000100 is something that doesn't want to be in
> kernel codes.it should be only in dts.

FWIW, I do not care about the physical address at all. This is just used 
by the of_dev_lookup function to get the proper instance for a device 
compatible type.
That's the only way for the OF_DEV_AUXDATA to work, but in theory you 
could do the same as soon as you provide the id. So OF_DEV_AUXDATA_ID 
could avoid it.

Since OF_DEV_AUXDATA_ID seems to be already dead before it even reaches 
the mainline, let's forget about that.

Regards,
Benoit