Subject: label string for kirkwood gpiochip

From: [email-masked] (Holger Brunck)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:54:21 +0100

Hi,
we recently switched with our kirkwood based board to a newer kernel version.
Our application code is written in that way if someone request an gpio in
userspace that he do search the gpiochip via the gpio label.

The newer kernel version handles the gpiochip on kirkwood in a different way.
The orion_gpio_init function in arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/irq.c was called twice.
Once for first 32 gpios and a second time for the remaining 18 gpios. This
causes that the gpio framework shows two gpiochips in the sysfs with the same
label (orion_gpio).

[@km_kirkwood /]# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpiochip0/label
orion_gpio
[@km_kirkwood /]# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpiochip32/label
orion_gpio

So my question is simply, shouldn't be the string for a gpiochip unique in the
system and therefore this should be fixed or was this intended?

Best regards
Holger Brunck