Subject: [PATCH v2 00/15] Make SMP timers standalone

From: [email-masked] (Marc Zyngier)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:13:01 +0000

On 05/01/12 12:10, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:35:56AM +0000, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>> On 05/01/12 11:26, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>>> Look, local timers *are* special.  They're not the same as global timers.
>>> They're treated differently.  Ripping out the local timer setup stuff
>>> from the SMP code is not the right solution, especially when we've
>>> already got a separation of the local timer core from the hardware
>>> implementation.
>>
>> OK. I'll try to work out something different.
> 
> Why?  What's wrong with the existing structure?

My main goal here is not to use a local timer as a global timer, but
rather to be able to support multiple local timer implementations in the
same kernel (TWD, MCT...). The "local timer on UP" is merely a consequence.

I could come up with another registration interface that fits into the
existing structure, but I thought something could be done with what we
currently have.

	M.
-- 
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny...