Subject: [PATCH v2 2/2] regulator: add device tree support for max8997

From: [email-masked] (Karol Lewandowski)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:58:08 +0100

>> On 25.01.2012 12:22, Mark Brown wrote:
>>> The big problem there seems like specifying voltages in the first
>>> place, if we know what device it is we should already know what's
>>> going on.
>
>> Driver which handles said regulator might know what's going on, but
>> that might not be case for its consumers.  Should we limit ability to
>> query given parameter just because its value is hardcoded in hardware?
>
> I'm sorry, this makes no sense.  Setting a value in the constraints is
> not going to have any impact on the value reported by the driver, it
> never has.

... with the exception of fixed regulator, that is. This is from where I 
got my flawed understanding.

Looking at other drivers I see that's indeed special case not practiced 
elsewhere.

Thanks for explaining this.

Regards,
-- 
Karol Lewandowski | Samsung Poland R&D Center | Linux/Platform