Subject: SMP local timers and their CPUfreq notifiers setup on OMAP3

From: [email-masked] (Santosh Shilimkar)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:18:37 +0530

(+ linux-arm, Marc)

On Thursday 16 February 2012 11:54 PM, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Hi Santosh,
> 
> Using v3.3-rc3 and building an OMAP2+ kernel I noticed that CPUfreq
> transitions fault because of the TWD cpufreq notifiers being called even
> on OMAP3.
> 
> Of course, the TWD doesn't exist on OMAP3, but the TWD init is still
> setting up notifiers.  I tried just adding a !cpu_is_omap44xx() check
> in local_timer_setup(), but that didn't do it, so there's more timer
> init that needs to be fixed up.  Can you have a look at this?
> 
> It's easy to reproduce by just manually triggering a frequency change
> with the userspace governor.  Here's what I did on my 3430/n900:
> 

Below patch fixes the issue.

Regards
Santosh

>>From 3a16f7a6694c14e201fdf6ad195c821816b2de84 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Santosh Shilimkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:11:28 +0530
Subject: [PATCH] ARM: smp_twd: Don't register CPUFREQ notifiers if local
timers are not initialised.

Current ARM local timer code registers CPUFREQ notifiers even in case
the twd_timer_setup() isn't called. That seems to be wrong and
would eventually lead to kernel crash on the CPU frequency transitions
on the SOCs where the local timer doesn't exist or broken because of
hardware BUG.

Fix it by uisng an initialised variable. Though the twd_timer_setup()
is percpu, the idea here is to avoid the CPUFREQ registration. Hence
percpu initialised variable is not used.

The issue was observed with v3.3-rc3 and building an OMAP2+ kernel
on OMAP3 SOC which doesn't have TWD.

Below is the dump for reference :

 Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 007e900
 pgd = cdc20000
 [007e9000] *pgd=00000000
 Internal error: Oops: 5 [#1] SMP
 Modules linked in:
 CPU: 0    Not tainted  (3.3.0-rc3-pm+debug+initramfs #9)
 PC is at twd_update_frequency+0x34/0x48
 LR is at twd_update_frequency+0x10/0x48
 pc : [<c001382c>]    lr : [<c0013808>]    psr: 60000093
 sp : ce311dd8  ip : 00000000  fp : 00000000
 r10: 00000000  r9 : 00000001  r8 : ce310000
 r7 : c0440458  r6 : c00137f8  r5 : 00000000  r4 : c0947a74
 r3 : 00000000  r2 : 007e9000  r1 : 00000000  r0 : 00000000
 Flags: nZCv  IRQs off  FIQs on  Mode SVC_32  ISA ARM  Segment usr
 Control: 10c5387d  Table: 8dc20019  DAC: 00000015
 Process sh (pid: 599, stack limit = 0xce3102f8)
 Stack: (0xce311dd8 to 0xce312000)
 1dc0:                                                       6000c
 1de0: 00000001 00000002 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000
 1e00: ffffffff c093d8f0 00000000 ce311ebc 00000001 00000001 ce310
 1e20: c001386c c0437c4c c0e95b60 c0e95ba8 00000001 c0e95bf8 ffff4
 1e40: 00000000 00000000 c005ef74 ce310000 c0435cf0 ce311ebc 00000
 1e60: ce352b40 0007a120 c08d5108 c08ba040 c08ba040 c005f030 00000
 1e80: c08bc554 c032fe2c 0007a120 c08d4b64 ce352b40 c08d8618 ffff8
 1ea0: c08ba040 c033364c ce311ecc c0433b50 00000002 ffffffea c0330
 1ec0: 0007a120 0007a120 22222201 00000000 22222222 00000000 ce357
 1ee0: ce3d6000 cdc2aed8 ce352ba0 c0470164 00000002 c032f47c 00034
 1f00: c0331cac ce352b40 00000007 c032f6d0 ce352bbc 0003d090 c0930
 1f20: c093d8bc c03306a4 00000007 ce311f80 00000007 cdc2aec0 ce358
 1f40: ce8d20c0 00000007 b6fe5000 ce311f80 00000007 ce310000 0000c
 1f60: c000de74 ce987400 ce8d20c0 b6fe5000 00000000 00000000 0000c
 1f80: 00000000 00000000 001fbac8 00000000 00000007 001fbac8 00004
 1fa0: c000df04 c000dd60 00000007 001fbac8 00000001 b6fe5000 00000
 1fc0: 00000007 001fbac8 00000007 00000004 b6fe5000 00000000 00202
 1fe0: 00000000 beb565f8 00101ffc 00008e8c 60000010 00000001 00000
 [<c001382c>] (twd_update_frequency+0x34/0x48) from [<c008ac4c>] )
 [<c008ac4c>] (smp_call_function_single+0x17c/0x1c8) from [<c0013)
 [<c0013890>] (twd_cpufreq_transition+0x24/0x30) from [<c0437c4c>)
 [<c0437c4c>] (notifier_call_chain+0x44/0x84) from [<c005efe4>] ()
 [<c005efe4>] (__srcu_notifier_call_chain+0x70/0xa4) from [<c005f)
 [<c005f030>] (srcu_notifier_call_chain+0x18/0x20) from [<c032fe2)
 [<c032fe2c>] (cpufreq_notify_transition+0xc8/0x1b0) from [<c0333)
 [<c033364c>] (omap_target+0x1b4/0x28c) from [<c032f47c>] (__cpuf)
 [<c032f47c>] (__cpufreq_driver_target+0x50/0x64) from [<c0331d24)
 [<c0331d24>] (cpufreq_set+0x78/0x98) from [<c032f6d0>] (store_sc)
 [<c032f6d0>] (store_scaling_setspeed+0x5c/0x74) from [<c03306a4>)
 [<c03306a4>] (store+0x58/0x74) from [<c014d868>] (sysfs_write_fi)
 [<c014d868>] (sysfs_write_file+0x80/0xb4) from [<c00f2c2c>] (vfs)
 [<c00f2c2c>] (vfs_write+0xa8/0x138) from [<c00f2e9c>] (sys_write)
 [<c00f2e9c>] (sys_write+0x40/0x6c) from [<c000dd60>] (ret_fast_s)
 Code: e594300c e792210c e1a01000 e5840004 (e7930002)
 ---[ end trace 5da3b5167c1ecdda ]---

Reported-by: Kevin Hilman <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Santosh Shilimkar <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c |    4 +++-
 1 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c b/arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c
index 4285daa..753ae37 100644
--- a/arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c
+++ b/arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c
@@ -30,6 +30,7 @@ void __iomem *twd_base;

 static struct clk *twd_clk;
 static unsigned long twd_timer_rate;
+static bool twd_initialised;

 static struct clock_event_device __percpu **twd_evt;

@@ -129,7 +130,7 @@ static struct notifier_block twd_cpufreq_nb = {

 static int twd_cpufreq_init(void)
 {
-	if (!IS_ERR(twd_clk))
+	if ((!IS_ERR(twd_clk)) && twd_initialised)
 		return cpufreq_register_notifier(&twd_cpufreq_nb,
 			CPUFREQ_TRANSITION_NOTIFIER);

@@ -267,4 +268,5 @@ void __cpuinit twd_timer_setup(struct
clock_event_device *clk)
 	clockevents_config_and_register(clk, twd_timer_rate,
 					0xf, 0xffffffff);
 	enable_percpu_irq(clk->irq, 0);
+	twd_initialised = 1;
 }
-- 
1.7.4.1

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 0001-ARM-smp_twd-Don-t-register-CPUFREQ-notifiers-if-loca.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 5006 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/attachments/20120217/9c7cf781/attachment-0001.bin>