Subject: [PATCH v3 05/12] ARM: EXYNOS: add support uart for EXYNOS4 and EXYNOS5

From: [email-masked] (Kukjin Kim)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:06:26 -0700

On 03/13/12 09:13, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2012, Kukjin Kim wrote:
>> Actually, the base address of uart is different between EXYNOS4
>> and EXYNOS5 and this patch enables to support uart for EXYNOS4
>> and EXYNOS5 SoCs at runtime.
>
> Can you explain why this patch is still needed? The exynos5250_dt_map_io
> function does not call s3c24xx_init_uarts() at all, so it seems that most
> of this patch just adds dead code that would only be needed for the non-dt
> case.
>
Yes, as you said, dt can support uart without most of this changes so we 
can drop adding/setup platform devices for uart here. But I thought 
non-dt exynos4 supporting is still available in mach-exynos/ and 
actually it is used for many product now and exynos5 can be selected for 
single zImage without CONFIG_OF. Even though we will move to only 
supporting dt world in mach-exynos/ for all of EXYNOS SoCs in the near 
future. So would be removed it when non-dt exynos4 does not support.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Kgene.
--
Kukjin Kim <[email-masked]>, Senior Engineer,
SW Solution Development Team, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.