Subject: [PATCH v7 1/3] Documentation: common clk API

From: [email-masked] (Saravana Kannan)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:41:41 -0700

On 03/21/2012 12:33 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Mark Brown<[email-masked]>  [120321 12:11]:
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:38:58AM -0700, Saravana Kannan wrote:
>>
>>>> So it would be interesting to know more about why you (or anyone else)
>>>> perceive that the Kconfig changes would be harmful.
>>
>>> But the enthusiasm of the clock driver developers doesn't
>>> necessarily translate to users of the clock APIs (other driver
>>> devs). My worry with marking it as experimental in Kconfig and to a
>>> certain extent in the documentation is that it will discourage the
>>> driver devs from switching to the new APIs. If no one is using the
>>> new APIs, then platforms can't switch to the common clock framework
>>
>> These aren't new APIs, the clock API has been around since forever.

I disagree. When I say clock API, I mean the actual functions and their 
semantics. Not the existence of a header file.

The meaning of clk_enable/disable has been changed and they won't work 
without calling clk_prepare/unprepare. So, these are definitely new 
APIs. If it weren't new APIs, then none of the general drivers would 
need to change.

>> For driver authors working on anything that isn't platform specific the
>> issue has been that it's not implemented at all on the overwhelming
>> majority of architectures and those that do all have their own random
>> implementations with their own random quirks and with no ability for
>> anything except the platform to even try to do incredibly basic stuff
>> like register a new clock.
>>
>> Simply having something, anything, in place even if it's going to churn
>> is a massive step forward here for people working with clocks.
>
> Right, and now at least the people reading this thread are pretty
> aware of the yet unsolved issues with clock fwk api :)

:-) Shhh... not so loud!

-Saravana

-- 
Sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum.