Subject: [PATCH RESEND] Documentation: devicetree: Fix value format description

From: [email-masked] (Roland Stigge)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 10:02:06 +0200

Hi,

On 05/05/12 20:44, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 06:38 AM, Roland Stigge wrote:
>> Numeric values in dts files can be specified in decimal and hex (the latter
>> prefixed 0x). The current documentation is updated with this patch to prevent
>> confusion about what is meant with values without "0x" (previously hex, now
>> dec).
> 
> This updates the documentation to consistently say 0x in front of hex
> values, but doesn't change the device tree _parser_. What did the parser
> previously do with this input?

I can add the following para to the patch description if you ack:

===========================================================================
Background:

Since 2011's update to scripts/dtc/dtc-lexer.l, we only support the
/dts-v1/ format which mandates "0x" for hex values. Practically,
literals (<V1>[0-9]+|0[xX][0-9a-fA-F]+ -> DT_LITERAL) are handled via
strtoull() with base==0 ("auto"), while we previously also had a
DT_LEGACYLITERAL (<INITIAL>[0-9a-fA-F]+), forcing base==16. Not anymore.
===========================================================================

Thanks in advance,

Roland